Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nikki + Scott's Z Cards

Unfortunately, being as busy as I was last year, I was not able to dedicate as much time to my blog as I would've liked. However, I have several designs from last year that I just love, and even though the weddings have came and gone, I still intend to post a few of my favorites!





When Nikki and Scott first came to me, they really loved the look of the pocketfold invitations but only had the budget for a panel card. While I tried to assure Nikki that panel invitations could be just as stunning as pocketfolds, I could tell she really wished the pocketfolds were in her budget. Then, last spring, I purchased a new die and convinced Nikki and Scott to be my guinea pigs! The result is this beautiful Z Card invitation ensemble, which acts like a pocketfold in the sense that the inserts are all banded together, but is not as expensive as a pocketfold.

The z-card itself is made from shimmery black cardstock, and has a champagne backer between the die cut and the printed invitation layer. I love the look this combination of fonts produced, and it compliments the design. Nikki's set included a response card and envelope, a reception card, and a double-sided custom map. For out of town guests, their invitations also included a rehearsal dinner and brunch insert. All of her inserts were printed on metallic cardstock.



I particularly liked how the same graphic was carried through all the pieces, but has been manipulated on each piece so that it gave each insert a unique look.



Map cards can be tricky at times. I always let my clients know that I'll try to fit everything on a single-sided card to help keep the costs down, but sometimes it doesn't always work out that way. Nikki's map is a good example of this. The three biggest factors that impact the design of each map are the the number of locations, the distance between each location, and the size of the map card. Because we needed Nikki's map to fit inside the wrap that holds all the inserts together, and this is driven by the size of the response card/envelope, her map card needed to be double-sided. This allowed us to show the detail between her hotel, reception, and ceremony locations and provide the guests with a route from any single location to either of the other two locations.



I have to admit, I am very fortunately to have such nice people as clients time and again. Nikki and Scott are no exception. I really enjoyed working with this couple, they were so open to my ideas and trusting of my abilities. Best wishes to the two of you, thank you for letting me be a part of your special day by giving me the opportunity to design your invitations!

No comments: